I just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. While I’m taking a crash course in the woes of motherhood since having my firstborn 11 years ago, I am bashfully still basking in my pregnancy glow. I can’t entirely say that I’m just a lucky girl for carrying a female fetus all nine months.
Pregnancy isn’t a walk in the park, especially now that I’m in my 30s, so I took extra—actually, A LOT—of precaution and applied everything (not just something, I mean it when I say I’ve almost applied everything!) that was recommended to me to make sure that I don’t suffer from chloasma (a skin discoloration common during pregnancy), dandruff, falling hair, and stretch marks (all common conditions during infanticipation).
Here’s a list of those beauty products that worked for me during those 40 weeks and up to now that I’m nursing. If they’re safe for preggos and moms-to-be, they’re definitely good options for other Bellas.
1. Human Heart Nature Shampoo and Conditioner, P129.75 each (200 ml). No parabens!
2. Burt’s Bees Lip Balm, P325. I love the sheer tint it leaves on my lips so no need for lip color!
3. Cure Natural Aqua Gel, P1,500 (250 g). No scent, no bother!
4. Bio-Oil, P495 (60 ml). It’s great to use on the chest and thighs, or any area that might have stretch marks. It’s easily absorbed by the skin.
5. Happy Skin Powder Foundation Powder, P1,399, and Lip & Cheek Mousse, P699. It really looks good on Pinay skin and the color pay-off is distinct yet still buildable with ample coverage.
6. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Tummy Butter, P450. Smells so yummy!
7. Celeteque Alcohol-Free Toner, P129 (125 ml). Easily absorbed by the skin, so I got to apply everything else I wanted to pile on faster.
8. Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Eye Treatment, P2,650. It’s the only eye treatment I can easily find that’s paraben-free.
9. SCO Sunlover Face Cream, P1,450. This sunblock moisturizer that doesn’t smell like sunblock, is absorbed easily and in my observation, and leaves a hint of glow on my skin immediately after application.
10. Fairydrops Mascara, P1,195. It’s my current favorite as it really opens up my eyes without clumping and easily washes off when cleaning my face.
Beauty Bar Click here for a full list of branches; beautybar.com.ph; facebook.com/BeautyBarPH
Bio Oil Available at leading drugstores nationwide; bio-oil.com; facebook.com/biooilPH
Burt’s Bees Available at Beauty Bar; burtsbees.com; facebook.com/BurtsBeesPH
Celeteque Available at Watson’s, SM Department Stores, Landmark, Mercury Drug, Robinson’s Department Stores, PCX, Shopwise and Rustan’s; celetequedermoscience.com; facebook.com/Celeteque
Cure Aqua Natural Gel Available at Beauty Bar; facebook.com/curephil
Fairydrops Available at Beauty Bar; facebook.com/fairydropsphilippines
Happy Skin Click here to view a list of stores; happyskincosmetics.com; facebook.com/happyskincosmetics
Human Heart Nature Click here for a list of branches; humanheartnature.com; facebook.com/humanheartnature
Juice Beauty Available at Beauty Bar; juicebeauty.com; facebook.com/JuiceBeauty
Palmer’s Available at Rustan’s, Watsons, and all leading beauty hubs nationwide; palmers.com; facebook.com/palmers
Maternity photos by Louie Arcilla courtesy of Jasmine Mendiola