Wearing a full face of makeup during the summer is like wearing a trench coat to the beach. However, I understand that there are some of us who still want to look just a tad more awake with color and definition without the feeling of so many layers piled on their faces. Don’t worry; I feel you, Bellas! I sometimes need to wear makeup for work, and I really don’t want to put on a lot of products especially now that it’s so hot.
Here’s a light and natural look that’s perfect for the summer weather.
1. Start with super clean skin. Apply toner and serum if you want, but I skipped serum here because I’m using BB cream. I used Pond’s Flawless White BB+ Cream in Beige, P299, because it feels very light on the skin and looks very natural. I applied it onto my skin in a massaging motion because it blends better and gives your skin a circulation boost, creating that glow from within.
2. Apply concealer, if needed. Most BB creams can do the concealing for you, but in my case I used Make Up For Ever Lift concealer for my undereyes.
3. Set with powder. I used Maybelline White Superfresh in Honey (P299 for a compact, P199 for refills). Setting the BB cream or foundation makes things less sticky, especially since we live in a climate that can get really hot and humid during the summer.
4. Add bronzer or blush. If you just came from the beach and you tanned a bit, add warmth to your face using bronzer. Then add a powder blush of your choice on the apples of your cheeks. I used a nice and universal blush from the Make Up Store blush called Must Have, P1,149.
5. Eyeliner. Most of us Asian ladies live and breathe eyeliner. It makes the eyes look more wide awake. I just lined the top of my lids with gel liner. I like gel liner because it gives me more control than liquid but has that same precision liquid gives. You may cat eye or not cat eye. I chose to not cat eye today and just defined with MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack, P1,100.
6. Curl lashes and apply mascara. I used L’Oréal False Lash Butterfly Effect Mascara, P695. You may use waterproof mascara if you wish, but I wanted to give my lashes a break with regular, non-waterproof mascara.
7. Eyebrows. Never underestimate the power of eyebrows as they can make or break you. I defined my eyebrows with my favorite brow pencil, shu uemura Hard 9 Formula in Walnut Brown, P1,400.
8. Highlight. For extra oomph, I added a bit of highlight powder on my cheeks (on top of blush) with a shimmery, pretty color that I can also use on my collarbones and shoulders. I used Coupe D’ Chic Iridescent Pressed Powder from MAC’s Cinderella Collection. You may also use a nice, complimentary shade of shimmery blush. Apply this with a light hand.
9. Apply lipstick. You can go natural with mauve or nude, or go for bright colors reminiscent of summer snow cones and ice pops like Collection Cosmetics Pink Shock, P199, MAC Tenor Voice, P1,100, or MAC Morange, P1,000. Just follow the rule of thumb that the blush shade should match the lip color shade.
If you’d like to go a notch higher with beach goddess curls, use a cone-shaped curling iron. As you can see, the overall look is very barely there with a flawless base, slight definition, warmth, and a pop of color on the lips. I like that this look also feels light, instead of that yucky feeling like you’re cooking your skin under the summer heat. Have fun with this look, Bellas! Tag me on Instagram @bambikitty and @bdjbox if you’d like to show off your final look.