Summer is the best time to get a golden tan, but too much sun can wreak havoc on your skin. What starts as a rosy, golden glow can easily turn into dry, peeling, and sunburnt skin if you overdo it! If you’re suffering from sun-damaged skin, here are beautification steps you can take.
1. Apply Vitamin C and Vitamin A. These potent antioxidants can help fight free radical damage on your skin. Vitamin C boosts collagen and elastin production, and gives your skin a beautiful glow. You can apply skin care products rich in vitamin C both in the daytime and nighttime. As for vitamin A, it promotes cellular renewal and stimulates collagen, but should only be applied at night because it causes skin sensitivity to sunlight.
2. Use sunblock. This won’t repair the damage, but it is crucial for protecting your skin from further damage. Look for products that have at least an SPF of 30 and contain zinc oxide. Wear it rain or shine while waiting for your damaged skin to heal.
3. Exfoliate. Do this once or twice a week to help remove dead skin. Exfoliating also helps in the proper absorption of skin care products. You can go DIY with a facial scrub or mask, or better yet, see a dermatologist for a microdermabrasion treatment.
4. LED light therapy. This is what I prefer to do because I really see the result after every treatment. LED red light therapy has the ability to repair the damage within your cells. Powerful red and infrared LED lights easily penetrate the skin and tissue where they stimulate cellular activity, increase collagen production, accelerate healing, and boost reparative processes. I do this at least once a month. Most dermatology and wellness spas offer this treatment.
5. See a derma. To be on the safe side, it’s best to have your skin assessed by a dermatologist to see the extent of your skin damage and get proper skin care prescriptions.
For more of Barbi’s makeup and beauty adventures, follow her on Instagram.
Photos courtesy of 123rf.com and beachhutfun.com