If you have oily skin, your sebaceous glands are pumping out an overabundance of sebum. It is the waxy substance that actually protects your skin. Unfortunately, when there is too much, skin looks oily and that overabundance of sebum may contribute to acne.
The good news is: Oily skin tends to develop fewer wrinkles compared to normal and dry skin. It takes a lot of work though since you need to make sure that your skin is always well cleansed to keep overproduced sebum at bay.
1. Use warm water instead of cold or lukewarm water when washing your face as warm water easily dissolves oil.
2. Use liquid facial wash that contains Apha Hydroxy Acid such as lactic acid, glycolic acid and citric acid. AHAs help in taking off dead skin cells and keeping the pores clean.
3. Use herbs such as sage and peppermint, which have astringent properties. To make a homemade skin toner, put a tablespoon of any of those herbs in a cup, and then fill to the top with boiling water. Let it steep for 30 minutes. Strain the liquid and let it cool before you dab it on your face. Your skin will feel fresh and smooth after!
4. Egg-white masks can help firm the skin and soak up oil. Mix one teaspoon of honey with one portion of egg whites and stir well. Then add just enough flour to make a paste. Apply the mask to your face, carefully avoiding the eye area. Let it dry for about 10 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water. Be careful not to ingest any of the egg mixture!
5. When it comes to makeup, use loose powder instead of pressed powder as the latter contains oils that can aggravate your situation.
How about you, Bellas? Any tricks to keeping your skin oil-free?
Be happy. Stay pretty.
For more of Barbi’s makeup and beauty adventures, follow her on Instagram.
Photo from bigstockphoto.com