There’s no shame in letting your boyfriend, husband, or male BFF borrow your facial wash or other kikay products. While the male-targeted skincare market insists that boys shouldn’t use girls’ products, I beg to differ. It’s all a matter of skin type and scent preference. And please, let’s get rid of the old-school notion that guys are too macho for vanity. Poor hygiene is such a turn off!
The best way to help your man improve his hygiene is to share some of your products with him. Lend him products that target his specific woes (ex. dandruff, hair frizz, and acne). Once he starts improving his skincare routine, you can help him shop for his own products that suit his taste and skin type.
In the meantime, here are products you can share with him:
1. Shampoo and conditioner. Guys are also prone to dandruff and frizz, so don’t hesitate to let him use your problem-targeted shampoos and conditioners. Try: OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Conditioner, P499 each (385ml). They have different variants that target hair problems such as dull hair, frizzy hair, thinning hair, and breakage.
2. Sunscreen. Convince him to slather on SPF by explaining that sun exposure can lead to premature aging. Because most guys hate that greasy feeling of most sunscreen products, go for a water-based brand. Try: Bioré UV Aqua Rich Water Essence, P420 (50g).
3. Facial scrub. If your guy still believes that all he needs is a generic bar of soap for his face, then it’s time to do a freak-out scream (just kidding!). Even if he doesn’t have acne, his skin may still suffer from roughness and lack of moisture, thanks to using harsh deodorizing soaps for his face. Convince him to try your multi-purpose facial scrub and see if he likes how his skin looks and feels after a month. Try Garnier Skin Naturals Light Complete Multi-Action Brightening Scrub, P84 (50ml).
4. Body scrub. Why stop at facial products? If he’s the outdoorsy and sporty type, then he needs a good body scrub once a week. Tell him to get rid of the dead skin cells and extra libag by staying a few extra minutes in the shower with a body scrub. Try: My Choice Spa 2-in-1 Bubble Shower Salt, P100 (225g).
5. Facial mist. Here’s a secret: Face mist is my favorite product to share with guys—boyfriend, platonic friend, crush, or otherwise. I whip it out whenever there’s a stressful situation that needs defusing, such as being stuck in heavy traffic, in the middle of weary travel, or overtime at work. I start spraying my face and guys always ask, “Ooh, what’s that?” I explain to them what facial mists are, and then ask if they want to try it. They hesitate, but end up saying yes and enjoying the instant refreshing treat! Feel free to use this for flirting. Try: Bioderma Sensibio Dermatological Water.
6. Facial mask. Guys need moisturizers, too, but many of them still refuse to give in! The best way to get your man started is with facial masks. Offer to give him a pampering treatment. Ask him to wash his face first, and then apply a sheet mask. Give him a neck and arm massage while you let the mask do its job. Remove the mask after 15-20 minutes. See if he likes the improvement in his skin texture. Try: Kracie All-In-One Facial Mask, P795 (40 sheets).
7. Facial cleansing wipes. When you and your beau are stuck in traffic or travel and there’s no time or place to freshen up, facial cleansing wipes will save the day! Unlike regular wipes that you use for body parts below the neck, facial cleansing wipes are gentle enough for the face. Try: Celeteque Makeup Remover Facial Wipes, P160 (20 sheets).
8. Eye cream. Many guys will only start to get conscious about their appearance when they start noticing aging factors—a receding hairline, saggy skin, and eye wrinkles. When he starts complaining about his eyebags and undereye wrinkles, get him into the habit of applying eye cream. Try: Benefit It’s Potent! Eye Cream, P1,800.
9. Hand cream or lotion. Make HH (holding hands) a little more enjoyable by getting him into the habit of applying hand cream on his overworked, calloused hands. Try: Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Healing Lotion, P675 (85g).
10. Hair treatment products. Guys are just as conscious about their hair (or lack of it) as girls. If he isn’t balding or showing a visible receding hairline yet, there’s still time to keep his mane thick and healthy by sharing your hair tonics and treatments. Try: Dove Hair Therapy Hair Fall Rescue + Intensive Hair Tonic, P470 (7 vials).
What skincare products do you share with your man, Bellas?
Beauty Bar Click here for a full list of branches; beautybar.com.ph; facebook.com/BeautyBarPH
Benefit Cosmetics 1/F Central Square, Bonifacio High Street; 1/F Greenbelt 5, Makati; (02) 729-9854; 3/F TriNoma Mall; Rustan’s Makati; Shangri-La Plaza; Mall of Asia; benefitcosmetics.com; facebook.com/benefitcosmetics; facebook.com/benefitcosmeticsphilippines
Bioderma Available at SM Aura, Makati, Mall of Asia, Megamall, North Edsa and Southmall; bioderma.com; dmarkbeauty.com; facebook.com/BiodermaPhilippines
Bioré Available at Watsons, PCX, Landmark, and Robinsons Supermarket; biore.com facebook.com/BiorePH
Celeteque Available at Watson’s, SM Department Stores, Landmark, Mercury Drug, Robinson’s Department Stores, PCX, Shopwise and Rustan’s; celetequedermoscience.com; facebook.com/Celeteque
Cetaphil cetaphil.com.ph; facebook.com/CetaphilPhilippines
Dove Available at all leading department stores, supermarkets and beauty hubs nationwide; dove.ph; facebook.com/dove
Garnier Available at all leading groceries, drugstores, and department stores nationwide; garnier.com; facebook.com/takecaregarnier
Kracie Available at Beauty Bar; facebook.com/beautyboxcorp; kracie.co.jp
My Choice Click here for a complete list of shops; facebook.com/MyChoicePhilippines
OGX Organix Avaiable at Beauty by SM, Watsons, Landmark, and Metro Gaisano; ogxbeauty.com; facebook.com/OrganixPhilippines
Featured photo copyright: osons / 123RF Stock Photo